Sunday, November 01, 2009

Nanowrimo: Filling the Well #1

I did The Artist's Way a few years back and what has stayed with me is the idea of "filling the well". Creative people need to give themselves fuel for their fire so to speak and since I am getting into writing I took a look around the house and will be posting some of the novels that serve to fill the well for me in this moment.

Here's the first:

Excerpt: The pause was longer than usual; long enough for Donald to finish his martini and order another.
"Two at lunch?" Ann asked with raised eyebrows.
"Don't change the subject."
"But it's such a marvelous opportunity!"
"What did your dad say?"
"I haven't told him yet."
"And there," Donald said, looking like a judge too young for the bench, "is what we have to contend with. The psychological slip."
"What on earth are you talking about?"
"Your use of words. You said, 'I haven't told him yet.' You didn't say: I haven't asked him yet."
Ann put on her near-tears look. "You're trying to make me sound like a stubborn person! One who achieves her ends regardless of what it entails!"
Donald eyed her serenely. "What else is new?" ...
And ...

No comments: