Friday, July 15, 2011

Meditations on local traffic

The Commute
16" x 20" acrylic on canvas

Here's my latest 2 hr. painting.

I confess I have been affected by the Toronto commute. Traffic and traffic delays and cars cars cars have kept me away from my studio in the downtown core.
I just am not getting there.
In the need to be practical and to save some money, as I haven't been at shows forever, and we moved and all that, I have given notice on my downtown space.

That was really hard and I shed more than a few tears.

However, as you can see here, I am painting up a storm at home.

I discovered I can paint outside in the backyard. So, given our climate, I'm all set to work outdoors until about mid-October I figure. I recall painting at Ottawa Markets until about that time, after which it gets too cold to hold a brush, and the paint won't dry, and you don't want to empty your water jar outside, or get more water, for fear it'll splash on you inviting hypothermia to set in.

Eventually I'll find another studio space and it'll come naturally when I really need it to happen. Toronto is not Ottawa. Toronto has a lot of studio spaces. Ottawa has very few. But, this is a concern for the future. For now I am still focused on paintingpaintingpainting. Time to go sketch out a few canvases for the next round.

See you back here soon.

No comments: