Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Collagraph Printing Experiments day#1

I made my way to Ottawa during the coldest week of the year it seems.
VIA station Ottawa arrival
The windchill during my week away was on average -34C. It was so cold that when you exhaled your hair frosted up. It's been a while since I've seen that, but like riding a bike, it felt familiar once I adjusted to my environment.

I'm a member of the Ottawa Printmakers' Connective. I love the collective's studio there and I get to see my friends and meet with them so it's something I've hung onto in spite of moving 4+hrs away.
The first evening I was there I visited an artist friend, Shirley Yik, in her studio in the building next door. She and I print together but she agreed to show me how to use oils and my goal was to re-make a painting in a ridiculous size for my sister-in-law's birthday which happened to be that day.

Just Walk Away  oil, 4"x4" gallery canvas
After we cleaned up and discussed our printmaking plans it was almost 11pm and we went home. Collagraph experiments would start the next day.

No comments: