Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Year of the Rabbit - Proof Studio Gallery, Toronto


Proof Studio Gallery is holding its
annual Chinese New Year Print Exhibition starting today with the vernissage set for tomorrow evening, Feb 3rd, from 6-9pm.

Their blog is filled with rabbit themed prints from all over the world. This is my fourth year participating in this print event. The best part is the print exchange held in March. I've got a good collection of prints from printmakers all over the world. I look forward to this year's bounty of bunnies!

The print I submitted is titled
The Dance of 2011. It measures 9" x 9" and is a linocut handprinted on blue handmade chinese mulberry paper with embedded gold flakes.

The design was inspired by Chinese chopmarks, or signature blocks. This was carved from the new rubber "linoblock" material I've wanted to try for awhile.

I found the rubber material very easy to carve but did not like the printing results, though I did get it to work. It tends to give too much when I press onto the back of my paper draped over the inked block to print my image. I do think the material would be fantastic for small stamps but this larger piece (image was about 8" x 8") was just too uneven and "soft" for my liking. Back to the usual battlegrade linoleum for me.

You can see ALL the rabbit submissions at
http://www.yearoftherabbitprintexhibition.blogspot.com/

or if you're in Toronto go see them in person:

Proof Studio Gallery Print Exhibition: Year of the Rabbit 2011
PROOF Studio Gallery
Studio 104, Case Goods Warehouse, Bldg. 74,
55 Mill Street, Distillery District
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Open Wed-Sun 12-5

Opening reception: February 3, 6-9PM - Chinese New Year!
Exhibition runs from February 2 - 13, 2011


No comments: