Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Lumiere Festival 2011 in Ottawa

My tape sculpture companions were very patient on the drive to Ottawa. I arrived around noon the day of the show. As usual, the weather was great until I hit the Ottawa Valley. All of a sudden the sky was dark and filled with clouds. The wind picked up. The temperature dropped.

The sky gave us one severe downpour, with a few more raindrops here and there throughout the night. We all remembered how terrible it was last year with the unrelenting rain. Thankfully, every time it just went away.

I carried all my tape-people-parts to the river's edge and had help from volunteers and friends to get my piece situated in the water. Thank you everyone.

Here is one half of my installation called Fool for Love.
A mermaid entices a mere mortal man to come get her.

mermaid approx 6' , packing tape, bike reflector, LED light 2011


Our hero.

man approx 4' , packing tape, duct tape, bike reflector, LED light 2011



Most visitors viewed the installation from this vantage point, though there was another view where you could see their interaction from the side, and their beating hearts.



It's tough to get the real feel for this piece so I experimented with some video footage. I think it helps you get the feeling of the day and the setting. Just click play below

Fool For Love - Ottawa Lumiere Festival 2011 from katie argyle on Vimeo.



The finale of the performances at Lumiere were the Fire Weavers. I saw them a few years back and was mesmorized. See for yourself. There's just something so great about fire.

Fire Weavers - Ottawa Lumiere Festival 2011 from katie argyle on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Timothy Hunt said...

It was great to see this piece at the Festival at night. The glowing figures with the fluttering hearts cast adrift in the Rideau River was something to behold. Hope you come back next year!!!