Monday, October 07, 2013

October Memoir and Backstory Challenge - week#2 - relationships

October Memoir and Backstory Challenge -  week#2


The theme is Relationships.
Memories or incidents involving our parents, siblings, friends, romantic interludes, marriages, even our children or grandchildren. 

_______________________________________________________________________________ 

Bob


I first meet Bob over the phone
Do you have any books about sex? he asks
Yes. Who are you looking for?
Maybe I am looking for you, he says
Maybe you are, I think.

We meet for dinner at a vegan place
He is twice my age and twice as animated
Life, he says, flows through him,
a gift from Brother Charles

Last summer, he tells me,
he traveled to Virginia,
and not to the cottage,
and stayed with Brother Charles in a trailer park,
with other seekers.
He shows me a photograph and points himself out
I'd never recognize him in the clown makeup
He was spiritually freed there, he says wistfully

One night as I lay in warm water in his downtown apartment bathtub
he challenges me,
Standing over me he demands to know why I follow a dead prophet,
Arms folded he steps back to lean against the wooden door frame.

We have our first ridiculous fight.

In time I note his tolerance does not extend to other drivers in rush hour traffic,
and he despairs,
frequently,
that his beat up old station wagon is a reflection on him
and in spite of all his inner work,
he still wants a new car.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I love this one! It made me laugh out loud at the ending. You are so good at this!

Angie said...

A clown? what an image. I enjoyed this post.

Unknown said...

Funny and interesting. A man who is so "enlightened" needs to be a clown (who traditionally seek all the attention in a crowd) and your ending is just hilarious, but also touching, because he has a lot to learn about himself. I also loved the directness of your first stanza.

Unknown said...

Hah! You have a wonderful subtle humour, and you know just when to stop so you leave readers wanting more.

PK HREZO said...

Wow. Interesting way to describe it! I really liked it!

redcatdance said...

Thank you all for your feedback.

I have to say I am truly enjoying this blog challenge. I haven't written like this in decades. You guys are giving me much encouragement. Thank you again.

Joy Weese Moll (@joyweesemoll) said...

Oh yeah. Bob sounds very much like my first husband.

Anonymous said...

I love the ending. He still wants a new car. I laughed :)

I'm really enjoying your posts.

Dr. Pearl Ketover Prilik (PKP) said...

Powerful writing and a subtle brilliant expose of the conflict between what a young person can see as an imposing presence and an actual "clown" ... Wonderful :) ... I felt I was watching you grow in the relationship with each word - so by the last line you could clearly see the contradiction between who Bob thought or wished he could be and who he actually was.