Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Angels in Hot Water

Heaven 30" x 20" acrylic on canvas 2007


Recently I was asked to do a piece for someone's birthday. This is what I came up with. They wanted an angel in a bathtub, and they wanted a quote with it.

Besides trying to find appropriate words to go with this image, I had to figure out what to do with the angel wings. Are they in or out of the water? Believe it or not, this really bothered me, as I kept picturing birds and birds don't get wet. Their feathers are waterproof/resistant (not sure which) but you know the saying "water off a duck's back"... And angel wings are big, where would they be? How would they be positioned? It's funny what you have to work out when making up a totally imaginary composition. I was especially pleased with the shade of pink for the bathtub. It just says reeellllaaaaxxxx to me. And she's kind of sassy which I like as well. My anatomical dyslexia reared it's head in this as well as her heel also looks like her anklebone giving this a Byzantine perspective of a couple of views at once. It seems a year of art school has not irradicated this from me, at least not yet. Though she doesn't have two elbows which I have often done in the past and not realized until I was done and wondering what looked "off".

I am assuming that this went over well as a gift. I haven't heard back from the giver or the receiver as of yet. I did enjoy making it.


No comments: