Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Made Fresh Today-Sept 4 '07 - Turtles


Turtles Turtles rah rah rah

There's been a surge of interest in the turtle over the last two or three years. I used to make them now and again but I get more requests for turtles now than ever before. I guess they are a real symbol of our environment, and the dangers the environment faces now. I know frogs are a real marker of the health of our environment and we are surely failing to keep it up to snuff for those creatures.

But I digress.

I was asked to make sea turtles for a store in the US Virgin Islands and as I was researching the design I realized that the sea turtles have flippers instead of the feet I make on my land loving turtles. When you make their flippers, they look just like little wings on their bodies. This is apt as they sail through the water. A lot like flying if you ask me.

I've been trying to find a picture of what I made and it's lost to me right now. When I get my hands on it, you'll be the first to know.


BTW I give all my friendly plastic jewelry pieces names or captions, and for a turtle I have only ever had one caption: turtles turtles rah rah rah from the ad usually run at Christmas for the box of turtles chocolates.
It's really hard to come up with a caption for a turtle pin. Do you have one? If so, I'd love to hear it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your Turtles.
Here's a few captions off the top of my head. "Homebody", "shell-shocked", "shell games","hard on the surface, but soft inside", "Gimme shelter","at home with myself", "withdrawn","happy camper", "back home"."oooooooh, I love Turtles".

Keep up the good work!!!

redcatdance said...

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have used the "ooo, I love turtles" one before. Shell shocked would be good with a turtle with googly eyes... O O
_


-rcd

Anonymous said...

I like the caption, "Slow and steady wins the race." I thoroughly enjoy your blog, btw!

redcatdance said...

"Slow and steady wins the race" is good too. I recently did a turtle with "relax" on it, maybe that's the way to go... ther's a movement called the slow movement out there that's taking hold. I think the turtle would be a great mascot for that.

Thanks for the nice words about my blog :)

rcd