Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Day Olds - Sept 11 '07- Big Angel Mirror

I made this mirror a few years ago and brought it to Canada's largest Art and Craft Christmas Show, One of a Kind in Toronto. If you've never been, you should go and see it. 700+ artisans. 11 days long. And if you're thinking of applying, that's 11 days of mostly 11 hour days.
Did I tell you it's gruelling?
By the second Saturday, if you check in with couples, you'll hear that they've had a fight.
It's hard, but it can be worth it.
Sometimes.
Like I said before, it's a gamble to do shows.

This mirror was a full size wall mirror attached to a wooden background that I painted. I created the figures out of masonite and painted them and used friendly plastic to embellish them and to add interesting texture and detail. I liked doing the big mirrors but they are really impractical to haul from show to show. The potential for the glass to get scratched is really high and it can't be replaced on a piece like this. The mirror's glued to the wood. So I haven't made them since. And I don't think I'll change my mind about that.

No comments: