Sunday, August 05, 2007

Day Olds - August 6th, 2007 Justice

Blind Justice Mirror of Postive Affrmation

Often I get asked to make a custom piece for someone.

Many artists hate custom work. They find it tedious and tense, knowing that what the client envisions and what you make, often diverge greatly. I am lucky as my customers know my style to begin with and that's what they want. 9 times out of 10 they leave me be and just encourage me to do "whatever" and that's what I do.

When I make something special I like to ask a bunch of questions to get a feel for who the intended recipient is. It's almost a psychic thing for me. I need to really feel their personality, their likes and dislikes, and then I just file it away in my brain and let the whole thing work itself out. Often I don't even know what it is I am making until I start.

It's all kind of nebulous but for me that's the creative process. It's all about trusting the gods to give me what I need when I need it.

This was given to a new lawyer by her close friend. I was thrilled to do Blind Justice in friendly plastic. Who wouldn't be?

And here's a terrible image of the whole mirror, with the caricature of the receiver swinging from the scales of justice.

No comments: