Thursday, August 23, 2007

Kingston Women's Festival 2007

Welcome to Kingston!


This was my second time at the Women's Festival. I think it's been two years since I was at this show. We travel from Ottawa, about a 2 hour trip, so we got there around 8:30am. All the spaces seemed to be spoken for, but after a few tours with an organizer we found one, at the base of a hill, and in front of a tree. We hoped our tent would fit and it did. It turned out to be a great space with plenty of shade. Perfect for a sunny summer's day. The weather started off cool, with the threat of rain in the air, but reached a very pleasant temperature by late morning.


My Booth - Kingston Women's Festival 2007


I worked very hard and completed a few large pieces for the show. This one was a big hit generating many comments and the ultimate nod of approval: a buyer!


The Many Moods of Fish 48" x 24"

One of the most interesting booths there were the paper hats. Made entirely by hand, out of paper, were these incredible large brimmed sunhats. You could paint them yourself if you wanted to. I am incredibly careless with things so I didn't get one, though I didn't get the impression they were fragile, I just though I'd wreck it, but I still want one. At least I got a picture.

all hats; all paper


The show went by very quickly. Oh the food! I forgot to mention it. It's as if I created the menu. This has to rate right up there of all the shows I've done in terms of variety of food to buy. They offered salads like chick pea and thai noodle and veggie wraps and nectars and juices and bbq sausages and hotdogs and GIANT cookies and squares plus coffee and tea. It was great and totally unexpected.


As a fundraiser for women's groups, I wish Ottawa had one of these events. This one is 26 years old. They fund all kinds of organizations and I felt good about giving them my booth money.




On the way home I took these shots from the car. I have a ton of car-ride images. I think they may warrant painting, perhaps as an assignment this year for school. Maybe just as an experiment. Inspiration is all around us.



No comments: