Sunday, February 12, 2012

Feb 12. And its cold here today.


It hovered in the high 50's (F)today and I was freezing. I didn't think it was possible Linkbut it's true, and as I write this I am layered up with my big sweater, a tshirt, and my jammies. Amazing. I tried to turn the heat on but the temperature actually dropped a degree after it was on for an hour or so, so I have no heat. Tomorrow we are due to reach 72 it says. *Thank goodness* I know, I can hear all those sympathy sounds from my friends Up North. Ok Ok. On with the show.

I spent 90% of the day carving linoblocks. I am caught up with my daily carvings and I have 2 ahead. This is good as tomorrow will be dedicated to woodblock colour printing--maybe the two extra linos will be colour. Not sure as usual.




The 10% of the day not spent carving linoleum was spent visiting the Monroe County Sheriff's Office Animal Farm. And from their website
The park was started in 1994 in an open area underneath the jail facility. The Stock Island Detention Center was built to withstand a Category Five Hurricane, and is built on stilts, about 11 feet above the ground. Underneath the building is employee parking, and a secure fenced area used for the evacuation of inmates in the case of a fire. It was in this evacuation area, initially a graveled area not used for anything else, that the farm was started.


When we parked the car I noticed this truck parked further down. It promised good things ahead and did not disappoint!


entrance from the inside looking out

and through these gates you head under the garage to the farm


some enclosures and that building is the jail

The Farm is run by one staff member, Farmer Jeanne Selander, who has a crew of inmates
to help her. They feed and exercise the animals giving them the attention they sorely need.


I didn't expect to find the variety of living creatures that I did and here they are:










My favorite was the two-toed sloth. This guy moved from the top of the enclosure into his house very near the ground, traveling upside-down the whole way. He has a completely different view of the world than we do.


Someone else is crazy for sloths...

No comments: