Sunday, February 19, 2012

Feb 18 & 19 - ready to begin again.

Keys water

sunset in the Everglades

candy coloured sky



house like this



house like that

stump: one side

stump: other side

dolphin mailbox

"he cleans fish, why not the house?"
sign on lobster crate table


DateSunriseSunsetThis dayDifferenceTimeAltitudeDistance
(106 km)
Feb 19, 20126:58 AM6:24 PM11h 25m 30s+ 1m 20s12:41 PM54.1° 147.881
Feb 20, 20126:58 AM6:24 PM11h 26m 50s+ 1m 20s12:41 PM54.5° 147.913


I am told there are a group of people who meet to watch the sunrise over the Atlantic off of White Street pier. Now that I have it figured out which direction on White St to go (d'oh!) I just have to get myself up at about 6 and head down there to see if it's true. I suspect that this is also the area where I saw something that was key to me falling in love with Key West. More on that tomorrow if I find it.

More famous are the sunset celebrations at Mallory Square. Before I ever had a hope of getting to a place called Key West I knew of the sunset celebrations in terms of an ideal place to vend on the street. The notion of vending for only the hours bracketing sunset were awe-inspiring. What a great way to make a living I thought as I trudged down to the By Ward Market with my luggage cart full of friendly plastic pins and earrings and happy fish paintings.

I'm going to try to get to the sunrise and the sunset celebrations tomorrow. We'll see how that works out.

I spent yesterday and today "off island" in Ft. Lauderdale. The Keys are different from the mainland with the most noticeable being the slower pace. The one road in thing just forces you to slow down. You get there when you get there. Look at where you are (!) and just relax and enjoy the ride.

No comments: