Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It took 10 days. July 24th, 2007.



Ten days ago I mused about starting a friendly plastic piece based on a famous painting. I had this book in mind as my source material. My brother lent me this book a few months ago, and as you can see, it takes me a while from idea to execution but the time has come. there are lots of great projects in this book, and what makes a paint by numbers book so fabulous is that the areas of colour and the shapes themselves are already simplified, so crating this piece has one of the problems already worked out. In the past, I have looked at stained glass patterns for this same reason: simplified shapes. Friendly plastic flows, I always compare it to wax when it is warm, and so you can only get so much detail. It isn't like paint, though I think of it as paint and approach it as paint, but the reality of working it is not the same.




Here are my tools. Very basic. Toaster oven. Fiskars, a pin of some sort, push pin is best but in this case I have a bar pin that fell off of my Carp Market badge, a flat head screwdriver, a blade/exacto knife, piece of glass and a surface to place the glass on when it is hot.


And nothing can be done without inspiration: my cat Kitty X, beautiful cut sunflowers in a handmade vase by Chandler Swain, and a summer's day.

No comments: